Background

Mastering the Art of Mom Cooking


Exchange your everyday recipes with others to add some variety to those 365 dinners you make every year.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sweet Potato Cranberry Bake

Stolen from: AllRecipes It is a Taste of Home recipe and I almost always adore those. I have their cookbook and sporadically subscribe to their magazine for yummy recipe ideas.

I'll tell you right off the bat that I don't like to eat cranberries but, funnily enough, I really like the flavor.
I tried this out for Thanksgiving tonight and really really liked the taste of the sweet potatoes flavored with the cranberries but when I tried an obligatory bite with a whole cranberry it was not so great. Others concurred. Cranberry flavor = yum. Actual cranberries = so so.

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings
 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 cups granola cereal (I didn't have so I used a little oatmeal/brown sugar concoction I threw together. I wouldn't recommend skipping all together though.)

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Peel potatoes; cut into 1-in. pieces. Combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice and salt; place half in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with half of the sweet potatoes. Repeat layers. Dot with butter. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until cranberries are tender. Uncover and sprinkle with granola; return to the oven for 10 minutes. 
  2. ALTERATION NOTES: I peeled and chopped the potatoes before cooking them and that worked fine. Also one of the reviews I read said that she peeled and chopped potatoes and then baked them without precooking - just increased cooking time. She said that worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment